aliciahuang

Devastating loss to Rams leaves Seahawks’ playoff hopes hanging by a thread

42-7,Womens Cordrea Tankersley Jersey,The Seahawks were pummeled early, at CenturyLink Field on Sunday, hard and often as they dropped an embarrassing game to the Los Angles Rams,Authentic Steve Largent Jersey, putting their playoff hopes on life support and leading fans to ask what the heck happened – not just with this game, but with the season as a whole.

an aging and injury-prone defense,Every single thing that’s worried fans this season – a suspect defensive line, inconsistent offense – came to the fore at once as the Seahawks were booed off the field at the end of the first half and played before quite a few empty seats in the second half.

in fact,Authentic 12th Fan Jersey, a loss unlike any the Seahawks have seen in the Carroll era – and it came on a day when Seattle was fighting for its playoff life. The Seahawks aren’t mathematically eliminated from the postseason,It was, but they’ll need to win their remaining two games against the Cowboys and Cardinals and get a whole lot of help around the NFC to earn a berth.

“There’s nothing to be happy about,Womens Russell Wilson Jersey,” Carroll said. “That was a really dismal performance by us.”

One minute, Seahawks middle linebacker Bobby Wagner was expressing his remorse for how he handled a Twitter comment to Earl Thomas Sunday and said that the two had spoken and “ironed things out like we always do.’’

The next, Thomas stood in front of his locker and told reporters that if the two have talked it was news to him.

’’ said Thomas. “It is what it is. We move on. If that’s how you feel,“There (was) no conversation, that’s how you feel.’’

Wagner met the media at the lectern in the team’s meeting room and opened his press conference with a long statement saying he wish he had handled things better than he did Sunday, when he responded on Twitter to a statement by Thomas in an interview after the game questioning if he should have played in a 42-7 loss to the Rams.

“E keep my name out yo mouth,’’ Wagner tweeted. “Stop being jealous of other people success. I still hope you keep balling bro.” Wagner deleted the Tweet shortly after but not until it had been widely circulated.

Wagner said Wednesday that “I feel like I mishandled the situation. There was a better way of going about the situation. I could have did better and it’s one of those things where you live and you learn and that’s kind of what it is.’’

Asked if he had talked to Thomas, Wagner said: “We spoke and we ironed things out like we always do and we are moving forward. We are focused on making sure we finish this season off right. We still have a lot out there left for us and we’re excited to get back on the field.’’

Seattle coach Pete Carroll also said during his news conference Wednesday before Wagner spoke that the two perennial Pro Bowl players had hashed things out.

two days ago, whenever,“They took care of it,’’ Carroll said. “They’ve already dealt with it.’’

After having said there was no conversation, Thomas was asked if there was a need for the two to patch things up.

there aren’t no patching,’’ Thomas said. “If that’s in your heart,“No, it’s cool. Let’s finish strong.’’

Wagner said his tweet was due to emotions from a “frustrating game. Frustrating situation.’’

Wagner played into the third quarter despite not practicing all week and being listed as questionable with a hamstring injury that has bothered him since the week of a loss to Washington on Nov. 5.

“The game didn’t go as well as we planned and you know emotions get high and things of that nature,’’ Wagner said. “You can’t always act on them (emotions) and I am man enough to admit that.’’

And maybe that’s all this remains — two strong personalities and players regarded as among the best at their position in the NFL struggling to deal with a season that is suddenly heading in directions they never imagined.

But an apparent spat between two of the team’s stalwart players also could be viewed as indicative of a team coming apart.

Thomas was a first round pick in 2010 and immediate starter who has since been named to six Pro Bowls, fourth-most in team history.

a second-round pick in 2012,Wagner, was named this week to his fourth Pro Bowl after spending much of the season being considered as a potential candidate for Defensive Player of the Year.

combined with that of linebacker K.J. Wright later in the third quarter,Wagner played through the hamstring injury until being removed from a loss at Jacksonville two weeks ago two games into the third quarter. His absence, helped the Jaguars run away with the game in the second half.

the Seahawks then allowed 244 yards rushing to the Rams,With Wright out last week with a concussion and Wagner ailing, the most of any Seattle opponent since Carroll’s first year in 2010.

Wagner decided to play against the Rams after going through an on-field workout about two hours prior to kickoff.

Wagner said he made the call to play because the hamstring “felt like it did all the other weeks.’’

But he said he noticed quickly things weren’t the same.

“Just didn’t feel like I had that burst to kind of make some of the plays that I was used to making,’’ Wagner said.

Wagner came out after the Rams scored to take a 40-0 lead in the third quarter.

Thomas, I think you have to give your hats off to Wags and a couple guys that played, said “to be totally honest,Authentic Raekwon McMillan Jersey, but my personal opinion, asked afterward about trying to cope with so many injured players on defense, I don’t think they should have played. The backups would have did just as good. The injuries – Kam (Chancellor), Sherm (Richard Sherman),Authentic Cordrea Tankersley Jersey, K.J. (Wright) – they definitely hurt today.”

Asked Wednesday about the run defense against the Rams, Thomas used it as a chance to try to explain his answer about Wagner.

’’ Thomas said. “As far as my observation on Wags,Authentic Arthur Brown Jersey, he’s just hurting,“Just gap integrity and we just wasn’t getting there, you know? And it wasn’t just him. That just stuck out in my mind. But we’ve got to be gap sound.’’

Thomas then added to a somewhat disquieting day when he didn’t exactly splash water on the idea that his future with the team is uncertain.

which pays him $10 million a season,An NFL.com report after Sunday’s loss reported that Thomas “could be gone after this season’’ because the team could anticipate that he will hold out in desire of a new contract that would pay him at least $13 million a year to match that of Kansas City’s Eric Berry. Thomas’ current contract,Womens Steve Largent Jersey, runs through the 2018 season but the Seahawks typically address the situations of their core players before the final year of the deal.

but if they balk and anticipate a potential holdout, they conceivably might look to trade him after the season,“The Seahawks could sign Thomas to a long-term deal,Womens 12th Fan Jersey,’’ NFL.com reported.

Thomas said: “Man, I know whoever gets me,Asked about his future, I’m balling. That’s it. And I know I’m hot. So it is what it is.’’

Asked a followup if the contract the team gave to safety Kam Chancellor before the start of the season makes him feel like there is a place for him with the Seahawks, Thomas said “I don’t know. Actions speak louder than words. So I don’t know.’’

Sean McVay has been the biggest reason for the Rams’ remarkable turnaround from last season. Despite having exactly zero experience as an NFL head coach prior to this year, he’s looked every bit like a veteran at the helm of L.A.’s resurgence.

giving them their first 10-win campaign since 2003. In doing so,He led the Rams to their 10th win of the season on Sunday by knocking off the Seahawks 42-7, he became the youngest head coach to win 10 games in his first season since 1937.

the 49ers actually beat the Titans on Sunday to earn their fourth win of the year,The Rams have a legitimate chance to win 12 games this year with the Titans and 49ers being their only remaining opponents. Coincidentally, while dropping Tennessee to 8-6.

Rams unleashed years of frustration on the Seahawks

It’s been 14 years since they put together so much as a winning season, and lately they’ve been the victim of what amounts to bullying by their division rivals.

Sunday, all that went away for the moment, and they were able to savor what they had done through 14 games of this season, with a stunning 42-7 beating of the Seahawks, turning into one of the favorites in the NFC.

settling the score in an unmistakeable way,They did that, doing to the Seahawks what has so long been done to them.

” said Andrew Whitworth said of the 16-10 loss on Oct. 8. “We really had a lot of opportunities to win that game and just didn’t. That meant a lot to us, Womens Raekwon McMillan Jersey,to have that opportunity and go get it. I think guys felt that all week. There was an emotion behind that all week,“I think there was a lot of anger between us because we really felt very disappointed in ourselves in how we played the first time, and it showed today.”

it will be interesting to see if they’re able to sustain this level over the course of the next two weeks and the playoffs. But as they showed Sunday, they’re capable of overpowering anyone,As a team just getting used to being relevant, even (or especially) the people who have been doing it to them.

The good news for Seattle is the Green Bay Packers lost. The Packers hold a head-to-head tiebreaker on Seattle, Authentic Russell Wilson Jersey,so they didn't leapfrog the Seahawks.

That's the only good news for Seattle fans from Week 15. The Panthers and Saints won to gain some distance on Seattle. The Lions won and now hold a tiebreaker on Seattle based on win percentage in the conference.

So what's next? Simply put, the Seahawks have to win their last two games -- at the Cowboys and at home against the Cardinals -- to have any real shot at a wild card.

they need some help. The simplest scenario is to have the Falcons lose two of their last three (at Buccaneers,Then, at Saints, vs. Panthers) and have the Lions lose one of their last two (at Bengals, of course, vs. Packers). Remember the Falcons hold a head-to-head tiebreaker on the Seahawks,Womens Arthur Brown Jersey, so Seattle needs to finish ahead of Atlanta.

There are bunch of other bizarre scenarios, too. But what we just described above is the simplest.

So you could be opening Christmas presents next week knowing the Seahawks will be sitting at home for the playoffs, or you could be popping champagne on New Year's celebrating Seattle's sixth-consecutive year in the postseason.

• Like 1